Things have been moving along at a breakneck pace. We got a great offer on the house and it is now in escrow and we close on Friday. We moved out of the house over the weekend, we sold and delivered both of our cars and we’ve been having farewell parties, large and small, for the past month.
On Friday the Nextivity crew gave George a heartfelt retirement celebration – with the biggest card I’ve ever seen!
On Saturday Lysa and Paige hosted a fabulous farewell at their home in Bonita (now known as “Deck Bar South”). Many thanks to all who came to wish us well (especially to Lysa and Paige for hosting as well as Anna-Leigh and Erin for working hard all night).
It seems like we’ve been saying good bye for months now and here we are – five days to wheels up….
We can’t wait to see you all out in the world!
As you may recall, we (Bonnie and George) decided to ‘sell it all’ and go wander the world. Now it’s time to make it happen.
We leave San Diego in 53 days, but we are well on our way to getting everything done. A friend of a friend purchased almost everything in our house to furnish a new rental property in Utah.That included furniture, bedding, dishes, towels, linens, cookware and even spices! The few items they did not take with them, went quickly in a garage sale.
Home upgrades before the house went on the market included renovations on the kitchen (cabinets, flooring & granite), new hardwood floors, adding central air conditioning, new carpet in the master bedroom, new lighting and fresh paint inside and out. The house in now officially on the market, tell your friends!
In order to prep the house for sale, the amazing real estate team from VanHutch Homes brought in staging furniture. Now we only have a couple of pans, a borrowed pot a few plates and a set of silverware. Long gone are the days of easy catering for 50 or 60 people on a Friday night!
Meanwhile: our schedule is filling up: here’s what we know so far:
- Dec 8-10: Honolulu to decompress at an air B&B in Waikiki not far from George’s favorite beach bar, Dukes!
- Dec 12- Jan 28th: house sitting in Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast of Australia
- Jan 29 – March 27: Thailand (we’re still working on specific destinations)
- March 28 – April 20th: USA , seeing family and friends in Georgia and Florida
- After that we will be part of a four person crew on a sailboat traveling between the Caribbean to the Greek isles
Watch for more updates and photos from each of the adventures above!
Since we will be traveling light (1 bag, 1 backpack & 1 instrument each) we’ve done a lot of research into travel gear. We finally decided on the Osprey Sojourn 60L/ 25″ wheeled backpacks.
Meanwhile, some handy lessons learned already:
- If you plan to stay in Thailand for more the 30 days you need a special Visa
- You need to get your visa while in your home country, and it must be used within 90 days of issue.
- International drivers licenses require that you sign the back of passport photos when submitted
- The Chase Sapphire card is a great choice for travelers, no fees for ATM use, and no foreign transaction fees!
We’ve decided to make some big changes: we’re selling everything and going on a “walkabout”.The house is getting some upgrades by the amazing real estate team at VanHutch Homes and will be going on the market in September. We found a lovely couple, (friends of friends) who are furnishing a new rental property in Utah, who are taking most of our furniture and kitchen stuff.And we have tickets for our first destination: Hawaii…